Friday, February 15, 2008

In case you're a little slow...

Have you noticed the food storage focus dad has been pushing in his emails lately? I just want to add my two cents...with the current climate economically and politically, I have felt an urgency to make sure we have the basics stored up. I've been trying to gather information to make sure I do it right, so I'll share what I've found out:

The bare minimum basics for your long-term storage is wheat, rice and beans. Mom suggests adding powdered milk if you've got little ones.

Short-term you need drinking water (empty juice or soda containers work, but mom says milk jugs won't last forever - although they're better than nothing), also comfort foods. Most people eat the same 10 meals on a regular basis, so store whatever you can minus the produce or dairy in your favorite 10.

I want to keep an inventory of sorts for my short-term storage -so I know when I'm out of olives or whatever - and when Ellie see's a sale, she can let me know :) If you have any ideas for how to keep an inventory that would need to be updated daily, let me know.

There are specifications on the type of plastic you should use for long-term storage. Our local cannery representative is supposed to be getting that information to me shortly...but just so you're aware, not any old bucket will do.

Tax returns are in the air, so it might be a good time to consider getting ahead of the food storage challenge.

No comments: